Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Education of this trader, and his tools




The History of a Rock.

This is my first post. I have no experience posting on the internet, my writing has been limited to research reports, development status, scope of work. My background is not wordsmithing, my background is developing things and making them work.

You have used products I have designed, or for which I have led the design team. With that background, and my technical career drawing to (what I thought at the time) was a close, I figured I wanted something to do in my free time other than cruise around the country bothering my kids. Goodness knows, they wouldn't want that. So I dug out my Samuelson, reread that, reread "Techniques of Financial Analysis", read numerous trading books including Alan Farley's "The Master Swing Trader", and went to work.

I immediately lost a lot of money.

When your prototype doesn't work, you generate what we call a Make-From. That is, you take the basic design, modify what doesn't work, and make a few more and test them. I read more books on day trading, patterns, read "trading Rules that Work by Jankovsky, set up my list of rules, and went back to work.

I lost a lot of money. But it took longer. I saw my basic failures were trying to identify bottoms and tops, overlooking the effect of the overall market on individual stocks, and leaving trades far too early. So my trading rules evolved. And evolved.

Then I joined Philsgang. He taught me patience, and the importance of relative strength of an individual stock. I followed him for 4 months without making a trade, then I followed his example. Over the next 6 months, I broke even. Actually, I lost $5000 because I donated that to Phil's charity, Boggy Creek Camp, after my 6 months of breaking even.

Then I bought one of Phil's tools, the X1. It helped me identify support and resistance points. I started to make money. Then I realized that support and resistance were not just inflections of pricepoints, but a combination of things including volume, fundamental and structural factors. Which I had read in Samuelson, but never understood. Until now. I left Philsgang, (but continued to support the charity, more on that later). I started to make more money. Basically I could make a reasonable living at this, so I tried to quit my day job. I was prevented from doing this. So now, just like it was when I was in school, I'm working 2 jobs. Full circle, I guess.

Also, about this time, TDAmeritrade released a trading tool called StrategyDesk. It was similar to the trading tool software Phil uses from his broker, but much more complex and complete. I believe strongly in getting a good trading tool, or set of tools.

I started to get better at identifying support and resistance. I still followed Phil's concepts of starting a position slow, setting a loss point I decided I could afford, and adding as the trade went my way, but just staying home on the trade if it violated what I thought was support.

Then I joined Minyanville (through TDAmeritrade). They taught me that there's a psychological factor, as well as the technical, fundamental, and structural components. And they taught me that depending on the trade environment, the factors have different weights.

Then I joined Traders Anonymous, and they taught me a lot more about the psychological factors, and AmenRa taught me about the 3LB.

Now, armed with the capability of doing appropriate research, my prototypes usually are successful on the first release. I gave up identifying the tops and bottoms, but look for trends, with the help of the 3LB, the structural, fundamental, technical and psychological aspects of making a trade. I am making good profits, and only lose money when I don't pay attention and let my emotions get in the way. This year, I did real well on BIDU, and donated my maximum to St. Jude's, the other Philsgang charity. That donation was made in the name of AmenRa and Rock.

I would like to encourage guys like Thor to invest the time now to learn this stuff, practice it, with small or tiny investments, because later on in life when a new career is needed, this is pretty good. You can take a day off anytime. You can put up a new prototype. You can try something new, every day. It's a wonderful life. If I had to do only my day job, that would surely drive me crazy. Or crazier.
That said, I just wanted to list my set of tools, and how I use them.

0. I have a desktop computer, which has a hardened Windows 2000 OS, 3 Samsung 21" monitors, and a fully synchronized backup notebook running proprietary software and acts as a full mirror. I have one feed on another 19" monitor that has Bloomberg. So I can watch Betty. At around 11PM here, they put on Charlie Rose, so I use the notebook to get the bloomberg.com/tv feed for an hour.

1. TD Ameritrade provides a wealth of tools. I use StrategyDesk which provides almost realtime access to the tape. I have about 30 "Level 1" tables each of which covers sectors of the market in which I have some interest. For example there's one for metals, coals, reits, retail, oils, solar, staples, tellys, homies, transports, healthcare, drugs, financial services, big banks, local banks, eats, bonds, technology, software, semis etc. I can look at the sector ETF (which are hard to find, by the way), and under that, all the stocks I'm interested in that fall into that sector. It's a good tool. It has lots of capabilities I don't use. I also have 3 charts set up. I keep one daily, one weekly, and one daily that has my most important "quick" technical analysis factors: volume, stochastics, momentum, and the "ultimate Oscillator". TD Ameritrade publishes the math for each of their tools, or you can ask them and they will give it to you, and I
have been through the math for these, so I understand what they are telling me. On one of the charts, you will see "relative strength". I intend to develop a post around relative strength, a concept that Philsgang introduced me to, at some future time.

2. I use TD Ameritrade's on-line screeners to find things like fundamentals, or PE ratios, or stock movements. Those screeners run really fast. The StrategyDesk can screen too, but that's very very slow.

3. Every close, I run a screener that identifies all stocks that got traded over 1/4 Billion. I keep that list, and watch the action. Basically, my theory here is that I'm pretty sure when a fund decides to move big money, they have to get sign-off by their management, and each move is considered very closely. So I'm interested to watch those big moves, and what happens.

4. I use http://Stockcharts.com to give me the 3LB charts, and some ticker charts that TDA doesn't have like "percent of stocks above their 50 day moving average" etc.

5. I use Yahoo Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com) to give me quick access to the balance-sheet information I need, found under "key statistics". I use TD Ameritrade when I need to access the full balance sheet. They keep historical ones, as well.

6. I use Minyanville and Traders Anonoymous for psychological input and tips.

7. I use my list of bookmarks to read articles from places like ZeroHedge, SharkInvesting, Mish's Global, The Big Picture, the Chicago FED, and lately the NY Fed. I find the government sites very useful, as they establish structural limitations on and directions to the market.

(OK, here goes!)

84 comments:

  1. Rock,

    Great first post! Charts and everything! You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - Rock this is wonderful! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, I am so impressed with the accomplishments of our regular contributors.

    Thank you, Rock, with sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excelent Rock.

    I was checking all the stocks that you got your sights on today and I'm going to see if I can find the data that I need in order to make charts and see if it's of any use.

    Congratulations for your charity work, that is quite something, for sure a lot of souls get a little more warm because of you in what is an inhospitable world for them, Rock sincerely congratulations again.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dastro

    Thank you eversomuch.

    The list of stocks to which you are referring are from my "winners" post, I hope, which I will repeat here:

    MEE PVG
    BJ RL DKS PLCE URBN BKE MW
    DRQ
    PZE BP XOM
    ESV SLB TDW
    VAR
    DFS HTS MA
    NTAP EMC
    MIPS EMC KLAC

    Winners I've removed are : TMO CMED V ACN and TLAB. The 3LB threw them out.

    These are the technical winners. There are other factors to consider: for example BP, I think there is still a moratorium for drilling in the Gulf, and that's where most of BP's known reserves live. That's a structural limitation. Additionally, a fundamental limitation for BP is the unknown amount of money they will be paying for years, and what that money's present value is. A psychological limitation is I don't like them.

    Anyway, I will continue to look at these as well to see when the pullback or imminent threat of a pullback is over, to start some entry points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rock,

    You might want to look into a program that I use which is called Telechart 2007. (it used to be called TC2000) I have used this program for more than 12 years for daily stock, etf, index, and the components of each index, i.e., S&P 500 or the Russell 2000 so you can sort the stocks in the indices for many variables at the same time, volume, RS, price, earnings, etc.

    The sorting feature is by far the best I have ever used as you can sort for any number of conditions or create your own.

    TC2007

    Plus they have many free webinars. I just love this product and it is what I use for swing trading and longer term investing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got it, I'm going to start working on them.I'll post what I get in a few days.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh oh. Shanghai closed below 3000 : 2,985.44 -162.31 (-5.16%)

    How about some "MSM nonsense"-like headline to link unrelated news to market moves: "Shanghai Composite Index falls on worries about "one dog" policy"
    Markets closed down more than 5% over concerns that new "one dog" rule will hurt dog food makers profits. In Shanghai, dog owners may soon be compelled to raise only one dog at their home, in accordance with the city’s proposal on a pet law being reviewed at the local legislature, as reported by the China Daily.
    :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fears that China's central bank may raise interest rates may also help explain the slide, but to a lesser degree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're just about to hit a trend reversal on the SPY. A close below 120 would do it. The futures are running around -.66, so I'm guessing around -.8 would make the trend reversal. We won't have an established downtrend without a lower low, so should this dip not be bought, I'm thinking Monday or Tuesday to enter shorts.

    The chop is so bad, if I enter shorts, I will enter verrrryyyy sloooooowwwwlllyy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I meant, a 3LB daily trend reversal on the spy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What could be more succinct than,

    "a trader, and his tools"

    well said!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Rock,

    Great post for novoices like me. I'll read to digest!

    Thanks!

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Did Goldman Sachs Hammer the Chinese Market?". www.businessinsider.com

    "Yesterday Goldman Sachs came out with a sell call on China".

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  15. @dss

    Thanks, I'm starting to look into Telechart. Looking at the oldest webinar, ol' Fitz is guessing, isn't he? It's really fun to hear these things, I'm glad they archive it. Anyway, I'll be studying it before I give it it's 30 day trial. There seem to be some youtube posts on it, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quotes from Bloomberg:

    "Cisco has done more to the market than the Fed has".

    "Wendy's is losing the burger war".
    I'd like to comment on the Wendy's quote. They closed a BK right near me, and opened up a Wendy's in the same location. I prefer BK. But not the people here. The traffic through Wendy's is easily 4X the traffic through BK. I guess it's the chicken, and Asians love their chicks.

    Anyway, I think that may be the rule with BK. They have closed several of them near here, and now to get my Double Whopper (no mayo) I have to travel 30 minutes by bus. McD's is localizing their menus, and makes a lot on coffee (I really like McD's coffee) so McD's may live and Wendy's may live, but BK I'm afraid is doomed to fail, in Asia, at least. Just my observation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am picking up my frozen turkey tomorrow from my friend the ChickenMan at the wet market. I got a great deal, it's 7.50 per kilo. That's $60 for an 18 pounder. At Cold Storage, a supermarket, it's 9.95 per kilo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Morning all! I thought we'd be down a bit more than 14!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anyone else notice that Lou Mish's blog has been taken down at least for the time being?

    http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe he violated the copyright laws. ;-)

    I saw that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rock,

    Is the wet market different than say the normal vegetable market?

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Rock,

    I could not work without my TC2007. Plus it has all of the Morningstar categories also, with their components.

    ReplyDelete
  23. S&P at 13 day moving average

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  24. Manny - Noway! I wonder what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cali muni bond fund shellacking. Muni bond crisis coming?

    http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/11/california-muni-bond-fund-shellacking/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Apparently wealthy global bond holders must never be allowed to take a haircut on their investments ever again. The Sheeple will simply do that for them.

    http://www.zerohedge.com/article/reuters-eurozone-sources-say-ireland-talks-receive-emergency-funding-eu

    ReplyDelete
  27. If everyone wants to and goes about debauching its currency to help their exports, then don't we end up at virtually the same (or even worse) place in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Manny - I've often thought the same thing. This race to the bottom - which will either end up with a gallon of gas costing either a quarter, or a hundred bucks. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Rock,

    You Rock!

    I've done a few "read / trade / lose money / realize I'm in over my head" cycles. I'm definitely a novice, but I'm sure this will help. Thanks for the freely given guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like the hobo indicator in full effect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1196 - 20day MA

    1192 - 200 day


    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  32. Might be a trend day day, it is getting ugly. It has to stay down below 120.00 for this to be meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. And I have a party to get ready for tonight! See everyone later!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like a lot of newly-minted bulls a bit trapped here.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Here's one for greg:

    http://www.zerohedge.com/article/abandon-apple-ship-ken-heebner-dumps-almost-entire-apple-stake

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lol Manny. That was a huge call indeed. Hope DH lets us know when he reverses his position and goes short.

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOL Wolfie. I'm just glad to hand over the contrary "indicator" moniker to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Emerging markets are being sold. FXI, EPI and even Coal names like TCK.B.

    CAD/AUD is green. Good call by Macro Man from couple of days ago.

    India is taken to the woodshed with China. Maybe that's overdone - I don't know.

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  39. As a followup, thanks for the nice welcome yesterday. I've been following for a while now, decided I might have a little something to contribute, or I should at lleast acknowledge things I like. Basically, I decided I would participate.

    For Los Angeles-based posters, Matt Taibbi is speaking/answering questions tonight at Largo. He coined the phrase "Vampire Squid" and I believe I've seen his articles referenced here. Should be good. I'm in the LA area, but I'm out of town tonight, so can't go. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  40. We welcome your input, Cameron. The more commenters, the better...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cameron - hey neighbor! Sucks I'm going to have to miss Taibi, If we didn't have dinner plans in PS tonight I'd go!!

    Manny - for us!

    http://views.washingtonpost.com/leadership/leadership_playlist/2010/11/the-gen-x-paradox.html?hpid=smartliving

    ReplyDelete
  42. @Dss

    It's hard to explain what an Asian wet market is. It' kind of like a farmer's Macy's. You lease a little space, and spread out your wares. There's an area focused on meats and fish, they have ice machines, and the meat's laid out on the ice. I guess the bottom's kept cold. There are stalls that specialize on fruits, leafy veggies, lumpy veggies, spices, fish (again laying on ice). In the center section there are clothes and shoe stalls. I bought a pair of fake Crox for $6.40. There may be a place to buy friends fish, not food fish. Then on the side away from the meats, there are stalls that serve the best tasting Asian delights you've ever had: Chicken Bryani, Char Siew, and we have the BEST BEST Roti Pratas and curry. And the Laksa is to die for. Literally, because it's cholesterol content is about 40 grams. I have Laksa once a month, and when I go home I immediately take a cholesterol pill. Sometimes two. There are a bunch of greasy tables with many chairs that are shared--you take any open seat you find. I think the cooking is not so clean, and I've heard they use reprocessed oil to keep costs down.

    The Indian coffee stalls beat Starbucks hands down, and the coffees are $0.50, the iced coffee mocha is $0.90. There are beer stalls, a 1L bottle of Tiger (local) beer will cost around $8. You can get a Guinness for around $15. The cheapest wine is $18, and my brand Glenlivet is around $240 per 750ml bottle.

    Around the wet market are HDB flats; 5 bedroom 600 sq. ft. apartments. Bombsights for toilets, no tubs, the shower is just in the middle of the bathroom. The drain's in the floor. These are highrises, typically around 12-15 stories tall, with two or three elevators. Fun, at rush hour.

    Most people eat at the wet market. A meal at the wet market can range from $2.00 to $4.50. A 4.50 meal is a feast. You eat that at noon, and don't eat again until breakfast.

    The wet markets close around noon, but the food stalls stay open.

    If, however, you want to eat "western", well, a small pizza will cost you around $24.00. I usually get the "offer" (their word for "special") of 2 for $36, then I freeze 1.5 of them. Took me a year, but I finally found a good pizza here. Sarpino's. Raw turkeys (called fire chickens) run $4-5 per pound. You can get prime rib that if you bake it you can't chew it for around $8 per pound, but US Prime runs around $21 per pound.

    You can't find fresh lettuce. All limp. The small jar of Prego's costs $6.25.

    Bottom line, here, you shop the wet market, and "go Asian". I think my cheekbones are rising......

    ReplyDelete
  43. Deploying some flash-crash orders...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Cann't close red on first POMO day- QE2.

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  45. Not the best article I've read on Gen X, but it's passable.

    ReplyDelete
  46. CAD is not being dumped. So may the rotation is out of China to the U.S. for a while?

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  47. Rock - that's fascinating! I've got to get to Asia pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  48. @Thor: Yeah, I didn't think it was all that good or really that accurate, to be honest. I'm always wary overgeneralizing "generations".

    ReplyDelete
  49. Welcome to the party Cameron. Train's about to leave St Johnny's station. Enjoy the ride:)

    BTW, thks Rock. Good to see that, with discipline and the right tools, one can work his way to profits. I for one am lagging behind you,I'm somewhat of an overtading jackass player.

    However, I'm trying to step back from time to time (not enough), review my trades and rethink my process,in the same way you describe in your post. I see that I'm slowly coming close to at least a break-even trading system.

    ReplyDelete
  50. @Thor: I think that as a generation we were/are the first "cynical" generation, however, but as far as opportunities, me and my siblings have certainly had more of them than my parents, neither of which have a college degree.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Manny - same here and the same for many of my friends. I definitely think we're a cynical generation, especially compared to the crop of kids who came of age after us. I don't know if that's going to be a good thing for people our age or a bad thing. I suppose it's good in some ways - for one, I don't know anyone our age who has ever thought we would be getting anything out of Social Security.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wolfie - Congratulations on that! You were pretty despondent about trading six months ago, it's nice to see that you have your game back!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Here we go boys and girls, hang on!

    ReplyDelete
  54. And everything down all at once - even DXY

    ReplyDelete
  55. @Rock,

    Real estate is expensive in Sing. I know some families from India, who migrated - My greatgrand father's time. They are doing really well.

    Authentic western food is expensive in India too. If you want to eat at a Pizza Hut, better bring a sack full of rupees.

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  56. Nov. 4th gap in S&P - tested


    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  57. And the debts for each and every country reaching meaningless levels (meaning low cheap debts) because the "currency wars" among countries force them to prevent being taken out by another country (trade deficits) so all of them have to expand their monetary bases making a big, big fat fuzz first.

    Secondly, due to the big,big fat fuzz first :) countries will need to reach an accord (Bretton Woods III to restore sanity in fx parities) due to an...all is sooo mess up oh my God!!kind of general situation in currencies.

    If they did a good job messing things up parities are going to be unrecognizable (like mortgages lines of title today)

    So the monstruos debt will need to be recalculated in new terms for all the countries...see people, simple, even a caveman can do it.

    Fuzz up FX parities and then reach a new accord.

    Of course in order to mount this charade the bondholders (debt holders) who are going to suffer the most, don't want no stingy haircut, at least in nominal terms so being "the first in line" in every window of government if you get my meaning can make them suffer a little less and disuade them to try to be a bond vigilante.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  58. I am sooooooo stopped out. Where's that "reset button"....

    ReplyDelete
  59. Don't everyone sell commodities all at once now! Sell da news anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thor-

    "I've often thought the same thing. This race to the bottom - which will either end up with a gallon of gas costing either a quarter, or a hundred bucks. :-/"

    You really think it comes down to something as simple as that?

    Just the price of a gallon?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Mannwich said...

    LOL Wolfie. I'm just glad to hand over the contrary "indicator" moniker to someone else.
    November 12, 2010 12:27 PM

    Jeff,

    right? good eye. that was amazing to see DH, finally, 'grow horns'..

    and, w/this:
    5-Year Treasury 1.359 +0.151 +12.50%
    10-Year Treasury 2.76 +0.112 +4.23%
    30-Year Treasury 4.246 +0.009 +0.21%
    http://finviz.com/

    can you guess what is happening to the 'Sharpies' that thought 'front-running' the FedRes' "QE2" was a 'lay-up' ?

    gotta love the ol' adage: "The Market moves to make the most People wrong.."

    with the Paperback catching a bid, earlier this week, among other things, one could see this unfolding..

    AAIP

    Rock,

    nice post. well written, and very clear.

    also, re: 'Frozen Turkey', here, in this neck o' the woods, they're being advertised, and sold, for U$D .49/lb

    20 lb. bird ~U$D 10..

    ReplyDelete
  62. http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=SB

    the Sweet Stuff has, certainly, soured..

    AAIP

    ReplyDelete
  63. Anon (2:36) - Yes it is that simple, just the price per gallon.

    Um, not to answer for Thor, but what I believe he was doing was making an...um... Anology, you know using the price of gas as a way of saying, it kind of depends on how things break down or not.

    I am pretty sure it was meant as figurative not litteral or else me and everyone else would be lining up at the gas station that was selling gas for a quarter a gallon, which would then force the price up.

    So it couldn't be THAT simple could it?

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  64. Buying the dips - some are- for momo monday.

    I Can

    ReplyDelete
  65. http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=CT&p=d1

    the Soft Stuff firmer than one might have guessed..

    http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=KC&p=d1

    Coffee, still bubbly, above U$D 2 looks like decent support, for the time being..

    http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=METALS&p=d1

    nice moves in the Metals, to the d-side

    earlier this week, in a bit of 'bell ringer', CNBS had some Chowderhead on, talking: ~"Au @ ~1400 is fine for 'Value Investors'..."

    UFB..

    AAIP

    ReplyDelete
  66. @Hoffer: He meant RETAIL "value investors', right? Meaning J6P so he/she can get fleeced again. Sold to THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  67. That Simple-

    When someone makes a statement like that, and uses those extremes, even figuratively, it pre-supposes on thing and one thing only.

    Price.

    And the supposition that the worst case scenario of either hyperinflation or deflation would move the price of that commodity or good to a certain level.

    It is not that simple, imho, because it totally ignores other laws of supply and demand.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Anon (3:15) - You know what your problem is?

    You are using 3 syllable words and I get confused after the second syllable - Oh never mind supposition is a 4 syllable word, so I ain't even going to try to figure out what that means.

    So lets just say your argument "It totally ignores the other laws of supply and demand" is correct.

    Then would it be impossible for gas to reach $100 a gallon?

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  69. Problems-

    Hardly anything could be considered impossible.

    I'd consider it highly implausible [to reach $100] because the mechanisms involved in doing so would re-shape the laws of supply and demand.

    Not to mention the effects of petro-dollar holdings, and the impact, therefore, of world security.

    Bottom line? It's not a linear argument.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Linear and out the otherNovember 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM

    Anon (3:36) - I got ya.

    Thanks

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  71. @Thor12:58:Nah,maybe I wasn't clear:I was talking about the new trading system I'm currently experimenting with, that gives me "break even" results.

    In the big picture (since I started trading), I'm a long shot from "having my game back", but one sure thing is that I'm "back in the game":p

    ReplyDelete
  72. WolfStreet - I am a long way away from having my game back, Heck I never even had any game.

    I did ok for awhile and actually put a couple pennies in my pocket, then found out there was a hole in my pocket :(

    So for the past couple months I have been re-assessing things and am a like you, ready to get back in the game.

    Put me in coach - I'm ready to play.

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  73. @Anonymous
    (There are too many anonymouses....it would be helpful to have IDs)
    I know about the price of turkeys in the US. Safeway used to have a BOGO (Buy one, get one)so they were about $8 each. You just had to have a freezer big enough to keep it until Christmas or new years' day. I finally got a TV installed in my kitchen in the Hillsdale house so I didn't mind cooking on New Years Day.

    Ocean spray cranberry sauce is 4.95 a can here.

    I bought 6 boxes of Bell's when I was in the US, so I'm set with spices.

    Next thursday will be an expensive day. The nice thing is I have so many offers from people to come over for dinner, I get to pick the ones I want. This probably beats having in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Rock - If you do not want to have your in-laws over, you can borrow mine instead :)

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  75. I honestly can't believe people want to live in NYC THIS badly. THANK GOD we were able to escape quite smoothly.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/realestate/14cov.html

    ReplyDelete
  76. Jeff,

    re: 'retail' (di-)vestor, it was on CNBS..

    AAIP

    ReplyDelete
  77. Manny - I feel the same way about LA a lot of the time. Of course, we'll then have a beautiful, mid 70's November day like today, and I forget all about the madness of this place :-/

    ReplyDelete