Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

You Wrote This Post

I have a trading checklist, in writing, but as with any document, needs living updates. So, I’ve been researching the comments, to revise that document. In my laziness, I decided to let all the contributors to this blog construct this post. I intend to use this information to modify my checklist. Taking comments out of context is dangerous. I tried to do the best I could. I was not able to get before March 9, and there was a bunch of stuff I remember but haven't reread yet.

I wanted to lead off with Wolfstreet whose first comment sets the tone:

WolfStreet:
I think this blog has been one of the most important contributors to my trading progesses.

I find it hard to imagine a trading system that would enable you to trade in a context isolated from the global markets. At least not one that will consistently isolate you from all market setups. I have messed up trades in nearly any possible ways: selling my long near a short term bottom, covering my short near a top, getting out just before the break I was targeting started BIG time, or missing the entry by a few points. I'm okay with taking losses, as long as it's in tune with my risk management "plan". ie several small losses, for a (possibly smaller) number of big wins = profits. I try to monitor my ratios losses/wins and remain aware of when things may start to go wrong.

The 1312 line is the one I'm eyeing with interest. That line being taken back, plus having at least one down day on big volume, would certainly awake the wild sleeping bear in me.

…..But, as always with fundamentals, hard to time the impact on stocks. When trading individual stocks, I always include my predictions for the markets (mostly the SP500) as part of my trading system.

There's this particular trade you've opened, in which you place high hopes of success since your trading system shows all lights greens. Then comes a big move in the global markets, generally in the opposite direction from that trade, and your stock follows in their steps, and at some point you're out. But hey, in the end, it simply means you were wrong to begin with, doesn't it ?:p

Anonymous (ICan):
I did look at Su.nyse chart at Finviz.com and saw that it hadn't broken the major moving averages like 50dma. I like finviz better than stockcharts.

Bernanke = Greenspan. And now there are trying to spread the debt disease to Ems. Live life to the fullest and then default - is the name of the game.

Dastro:
I'm trying to optimize the use of time (work constrains) that I get, to study the markets as a whole first and then re-engage in my silly accuracy rate predictions in individual stocks. When I'll be able to pick stocks successfully without paying attention to the general market...well, that would be the moment that I can say to myself after years and years of efforts you did it dude, but I'm not there. In the meantime I need to get help from the general market and/or improved synaptic activity.

My original view back in September was that will move up at a good pace till April and then an important correction [Rock: dead on, just a little late….I wonder how he did it back in Sept?]

If I know the stocks (meaning a lot of time studying them)I become familiar with them and my prediction performance in this case hit around 70% right- 30% wrong. Narcissism it only clouds our judgement making us believe that we have something when in reality we got nothing but only hope.

Dss:
The primary problem of trading short term stock type things and not futures is that the market moves more overnight sometimes than it does during the day, so even if you have a stop you can get creamed. Sometimes I put on a little test position as it keeps me uber focused then on how it does. Even if I lose a little bit of money, it is giving me good information.

I am strictly a technician, fundamental analysis to me is a waste of time, and is often wildly inaccurate due to lies, fraud and mismanagement. I just don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out the "why" of something. I take note of sectors that are over or under performing, drill down to see if the whole sector is doing well or just a few large stocks, and extrapolate from there. Divergences from the overall trend give me information to form an opinion and then I use other technical indicators to confirm that opinion.

Tops are very hard to predict as there usually is a process going on that takes months, if not a year (2007-2008) to unfold. No one rings a bell at the top and no one rings a bell at the bottom. Things always look best at the top and worst at the bottom. Markets go further in both directions than anyone could have predicted. Let history and internals be your guide, rather than hysterical blog coverage and misleading media coverage.

The important indicators that I follow such as the McClellan Summation Index have been diverging since last November, which put in their third lower high, while prices have powered forward.

With regard to gaps up/down in the SPY the odds are that they will fill if they are less than 1.00, 132.10 minus 131.10, but if they are more than 1 point then the odds are they will not fill.

I keep a 7 day ma on the range of the S&P futures and it went from a high of 29.93 to a low yesterday of 10.29. Great example of the expansion/contraction principle. The last time the range contracted to this level was on 2/18/11. The concept of expansion and contraction that I follow is from Toby Crabel which is also where the NR4 and NR7 concepts come from: http://www.mypivots.com

I-man:
Focus on what you stand to lose, before you even think about what you may win. If you're on the right side of the tape, the gains will come. Small gains over time with good risk management will make ya rich. Being able to take small losses is one of the most important things you can learn. Its when folks cant admit they are wrong that problems arise.

"I'd rather be out wishing I was in, than in wishing I was out." I apply this same philosophy to taking gains in winning trades. I always protect gains with stops. I'd rather get clipped out with a profit, and look for a reentry with gains in hand, then sit and watch my gains retrace to evaporation.

When I pay all my debts, and start stacking a nest egg, it will all be in CDs. Or 90 day T-Bills...


Mannwich:
The Mannwich top is in folks. Lol. (April 12, 2011)

Remember, the economy isn't the market and vice versa.

I've previously been a fundamentals guy but that hasn't done me any favors, so I'm trying to use more of a combination approach and leaning more on technicals than I used to

Rock:
I love pullbacks. It's the only way we can identify the strongest stocks when the market trend is up. The time to invest is when the weekly, daily, and hourly stochastics of the SPX are at the 20% level. That's the time in your career that you will make the most money.

The S&P is constructed to advance when commodities go up in price. 17% of the S&P directly benefits: The Materials and Energy sectors. 48% is neutral to commodity prices: techs, financials, healthcare, and telecom. So about 2/3 of the S&P will advance (part by beta, part by direct benefit) if the commodity prices go up. Yes, we can continue the recovery, all we have to do is have inflation, where commodities go up up and away.

When I see a W on the chart, the stochs have to return to oversold, but here on SU we got just a little dip below overbought. If the stock is going up, and I want to momentum trade, I will wait until the stock is on the lower line of the upchannel, then go to a 15 minute chart, and look for a W with the right side higher, that must still be within the daily channel boundaries. If the daily channel is wide, I will take shares off at or near the top, then add them back when it returns to the bottom. I will never never short a stock in an upchannel. Don't short strength.

Volumes are extremely light, so the plunger team can be very effective right now, the window is still at 0%, and you can buy a lotta stock at 0% interest. The problem is the Fed's balance sheets are becoming more transparent, so the plungers gotta be careful.

The technicals look like a lower high. However, the fundamentals, the structurals, and the psychologicals just don't add up. Fundies: everything is up up and away. Profits never better. Structurals: the Fed's still buying. Bonds are in low-dom. Psychologicals: we're shrugging off everything: Lybia and middle east, ivory coast, Portugal and Ireland. So 3 of 4, up up and away. do you believe technicals? All by themsleves?

Thor:
Man look at gold, now that's one investment I made that turned out. I bought in at $850. That purchase was to diversify my investments FYI, wasn't trying to make a ton of money with it. I console myself by remembering that on the other side of that 230% profit is a pretty big loss. I'm definitely happier with 2 or 5% when it comes to my risk appetite! Two years on educating myself on the markets and investments and I still have the vast majority of my holdings in bonds and CD's!

I wonder if anyone has thought about doing some serious auditing work on the ratings companies. Who stands to benefit from a downgrade like [Portugal’s]? The big banks who will not only get more interest, but could this also force yet another bailout with favorable terms to the banks? Also wonder if TBTB are in the fight of their life here - it's one thing to have a small country no one ever talks about (Iceland) tell them banks to f*** off, it's another thing to have an EU country like Ireland or Portugal do the same thing. Would that maybe cause a domino affect? More and more countries deciding to follow in their footsteps? That would definitely NOT be to the banks benefit. One thing I do believe in, whatever the mechanism, is that this increased liquidity is finding it's way into the stock market. 1.7 trillion in QE in two Years is nothing to ignore .

We've talked about turning points - I'm learning quite a bit about my own biases lately. Watching so many of you turn bearish, some more so than other (cough, Manny, cough ;-). I'm struck by just how SLOW I am to change my outlook! I'm still clinging to "this correction is almost over". I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. One the one hand, I'm not quick to change my mind, on the other hand, that slowness could cost me if I'm not careful!

those tools will influence you to make bad decisions. I think this is key - too many people thinking the one or two systems they are wedded to are infallible. Best to get as much confirmation and as many different inputs into a trading decision as you can. Relying on one chart, or one system, I think, too often leads people to miss the forest for the trees

Rock:
I put Mutt last. Somebody had to be last, so I chose Mutt Mutt, the last shall be first.

Mutt:
But no matter what system is used, do you trust the numbers? Is our unemployed rate really falling, or are people being pushed out of the system, only to be left worse off then before, but no one cares because they no longer count as unemployed? As the dollar weakens and comodities spike can we really be having an economic upturn and if so how long can it last? Can the Toil Index give us a better number then GDP, Probably, but how long will it be before those numbers are manipulated?

I do not trust this market. Oh I do believe it will go up some more, but there is nothing to keep it up, how long it takes is any bodies guess. I think the market will continue higher only because it is being pumped with cheap dollars. But some day those cheap dollars will fail to make a difference and people will start to pull them out of the market, then the wheels to Ben's economic "plan" will start to truly come off.

I FINALLY have a fairly good handle on placing stops, of course it took loosing money to get the grasp of it, but like you have said several times, there is no reason to loose money and there is always another opportunity around the corner and well placed stops help both of those. I am not an “emotional” guy, I try and make decisions based on the facts, but being emotionally tied to the market has been my biggest downfall and perhaps one of the harder lessons to learn.

It seems a good trader also needs to be dynamic and able to change and even make choices they other wise would find distasteful.

Yes, Bernanke is my hero. Maybe the market insiders have itchy trigger fingers, because they know at a certain point they are on their own.

82 comments:

  1. Just to start the day off on a lighter note. Manny, you'll like this I think.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/19/onion-news-network-unemployed_n_851055.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Rock!

    I am back looking at Finviz.com. And Su as of now is back in the channel.

    Just look at DXY and JPY. The carry trades!

    And Gold wow! I think Indians going mad after silver.

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously the Martket is up almost 200 points. oil is pushing $110 and gold is above 1500.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Risk on baby. Had a feeling last night the longer we hang around at these levels, the more likely the next move is up. My top is in serious jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A winter-wonderland here this morning. Snow covering our poor, confused trees. At this rate, they may choose to not even grow leaves all of this year. Just skip it. Would be much easier with this crappy weather confusing the hell out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rock,

    Is QE2 end in June already priced in?


    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a good sign for housing OR maybe a sign of THE bottom? Maybe? Probably not.

    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-19/americans-shun-most-affordable-homes-in-generation-as-owning-loses-appeal.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This passage jumped off the page at me. Think about that extra $1,300 a month for people if they had in their pockets what that would do for the real economy. Wow.

    "Pauli, the California renter, said she has no such aspirations, at least for now. She pays $1,500 a month for her three-bedroom, single-family home with a two-car garage, granite kitchen countertops and stainless-steel appliances. Her neighbors who bought before the housing crash typically have mortgage payments of about $2,800 a month, Pauli said."

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rock, or anyone else:

    Do you read John Hussman letter?

    Read lately?

    http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc110411.htm

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rock - this post is wonderful! My god, someone actually pays attention to stuff I say :-)

    ICan - not yet, but I am now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing gets past our renaissance Rock, Thor. You should know that by now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rock,

    A blast from the past, thanks! (I sound so boring, maybe you could find some spicier quotes?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hussman highlighted by John Mauldin in his latest letter.

    "Charles Plosser and the 50% contraction in the Fed's balance sheet".


    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  14. These days are the worst, gap up and then flat line.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ICan

    QE2 cessation is absolutely not priced in, in my opinion. On the Fed NY is a paper which tells what and why they are buying Treasuries. I think it was Mannwich who posted a link to an article summarizing that paper, which did have a couple of inaccuracies. The paper says they are buying treasuries in order to lower long term interest rates.

    Ask yourself: where are long term interest rates the worst? Eurozone. I saw on Bloomie this AM the Greece bond return, I was stunned, it's huge. I didn't write it down, but wow. It's so high because people are concerned over the possibility (I think probability) that Greece will restructure their debt. So the Fed is buying treasuries from the Eurozone, to give them dollars to strengthen the Euro.

    When this stops, the Euro's strength will weaken (unless China picks up the slack, but they have incentive not to). When the Euro weakens, the dollar will strengthen. Well, we all know dollar up means equities down.

    I think you'll see either Bernank or Timmy take a trip or two to China in the near future. But China's inflation is tied to the Bucky, and if the bucky strengthens, their inflation drops.

    I wish Leftback were around to comment. This comment completely disagrees with the CEO of Blackrock, Larry Fink, who said that QE2 cessation is priced in and the market is technically short. If he were right, I don't think we would have seen the plunge on the S&P hint about US debt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Dss:

    How about:

    Rock: have babies. lots of babies...
    Dss: I did my part....

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Denise: Boring is usually more effective. And accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Rock: I tried to do my part. Believe me. I'll spare you the gory details though. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thks Rock;) will have to postpone the reading again though.:( .. lots of coding to do, plus charting taking so much time too. Little left after that.

    Take care all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ICan - if I read this correctly Hussman is saying we could have a few WEEKS until things start getting sketchy?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, SLV. Nutso. Wish I hadn't trimmed that rental. Oh well. Still have some.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Quite a fine bubble you're blowing, Benny. AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bubbles everywhere - silver, gold, equities, bonds, oil, copper. On and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rock said

    Dastro..."My original view back in September was that will move up at a good pace till April and then an important correction" [Rock: dead on, just a little late….I wonder how he did it back in Sept?]

    Rock, thank you for the laugh.Redacting only my comment didn't allow me to chuckle at anyone's else comments just mine only.
    You should redact more comments, looks like fun.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Hey Johnny. Your advisor here. Can't believe you're not near your phone on such a BIG day.

    This is your day Johnny. That opportunity you've always dreamed of, THE opportunity of a lifetime.

    Do it! All long on this bank stock. You know you'll regret it if you don't."

    [the broker hangs up the phone, and thinks to himself] "All right. Let's dump that junk now, before the steam fades."

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wolfie,

    Just saw "Inside Job" and your comment reminded me of it.

    What a bunch of double dealing scum bags that run this country, populate our universities and hold enormous power through their companies.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Remember folks, the stock market went up until fall, 2007, even though the big boys knew it was just a matter of time before the shit was going to hit the fan and they were betting against their customers. (which is what they do anyway, for the most part)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ICan:

    RE: Hussman

    Yes, I get his reports in email.

    He tends to ignore the fact that US money supply has to be a worldwide commodity. His reports pretty much assume the policy is applicable within the borders of the US.

    Take a look at his funds. The growth fund is shrinking, and the equity fund is tracking the market percentage.

    But I enjoy reading it because it kind of scares me if the US and other countries go into protectionism mode.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Follow da money, Denise. That's what EVERYONE who's anyone is doing now. This is what happens when everyone in influential positions everywhere is on the take in some fashion. It ain't pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Are we a great nation or what.

    First we put those who caused the meltdown back in charge, and then we install a CEO whose company pays no federal income taxes and who shipped American jobs overseas, as JOB CZAR.

    And we now are scratching our heads trying to figure out why job growth is so anemic....

    With jobs czar under fire, new data confirm offshoring trend

    ReplyDelete
  31. ROck - I've often thought that might be the end game here - countries moving back into protectionist/isolationist with trade to protect their trade numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Denise: It's almost surreal, isn't it? Orwell would be proud. Everything turned on its head. A tragi-comedy of epic proportions. Hard not to be cynical. This nonsense is largely what made me leave corporate America. Either you at least sip the Kool Aide they're feeding you, or you gotta get out. It just ate me up over time.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think that IS likely the end game, Thor. Or a major war of some sort. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Manny,

    And they were all on the take, many of them still are.

    As long as one person from that era is employed by the administration there will be no prosecutions.

    Larry Summers alone made 20 million from "consulting" with financial companies and speaking engagements. Who would pay that ass $143k to speak? GS, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Denise - Sheesh - just the first two pargraphs of that article make you want to vomit.

    In January, the White House appointed Jeff Immelt (pictured), the CEO of GE, as its "jobs czar," charged with finding solutions to America's unemployment crisis. Three months later, despite some positive signs, employment rates have barely budged, Americans are more pessimistic about the economy than they've been in a while--and Immelt is under fire amid news that GE reportedly paid no taxes this year.

    And some new jobs data may not help things. The Wall Street Journal reports (sub. req.) that during the last decade U.S. multinationals reduced their domestic workforce by 2.9 million, according to Commerce Department figures. During the same period, those same companies increased their overseas workforce by 2.4 million. (Here's a chart that nicely lays it out.) As recently as the 1990s, things were different: Multinationals were adding jobs both domestically and overseas.


    This is the nations Jobs Czar? Why? So he can tell us how to better avoid paying taxes and cutting back on "overpaid" US employees?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Comments in that article are something else . . almost 4 THOUSAND.

    I like "GE = Go Elsewhere"

    ReplyDelete
  37. Bingo, Denise. Bingo. It's an entrenched corruption. They all hang out together, think alike, and all have an interest in this game which is why nothing will change until they are rooted out of positions of influence and power. They must laugh over drinks at the foolish little battles we all fight with each other, while they stoke those flames and make off with the loot time and time agani. Again, George Carlin was spot in regarding "the club". This is what he was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  38. And the funny thing is that none of them, to a man, saw anything wrong with their conflicts of interest (getting paid by the Chamber to write pieces that supported deregulation and the safety of derivatives) and not seeing any problem with not revealing that information, any where. Or putting on their resume who their consulting clients were, or their other conflicts of interest.

    The CEOS just got up there and lied their asses off to congress. No fear of prosecution.

    The whole movie just turned my stomach as it gathered the most criminal enterprise in America today together, lying through their teeth. The fact that the government was complicit is without question.

    So now the sheeple have been fleeced and they have been prepped to once again vote against their own self interest (dismantle Medicare, SS, unions) so that the overlords can pay no taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Rock, Thor.

    Thanks for reply on Hussman.

    @Denise (12:43)

    Yes, musical chairs and 2007 S&P top. That scares me.

    Problem, as Rock mentioned is "money never sleeps". Who knows. Everyone is printing and with inflation so high in Ems(BRICS), people have resorted to going after hard assets, From real-estate, PMs(especially gold and silver) to equities (mutual funds coming to a Em near you)!

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's comical, isn't it, Thor? Back in the day they could get away with this superficial windowdressing stuff (giving off the appearance or "reality" they want), but now people are far too cynical and have far too much information at their fingertips to believe most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thor,

    I know. I am not sure that a President Hillary would have done anything differently. And I am doubly sure that McCain/Palin would have do so much more damage to this country. (bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran! They lied about the reasons for the Iraq war, it would be so easy to find reasons for McCain to go to war with Iran, and maybe Palin might be able to locate it on the map)

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's all the same, Denise. She's an even more entrenched member of said "club". Where do you think the O man got all of his "advisors"?

    ReplyDelete
  43. I shorted my favorite short last night just before the close. My heart was in my mouth this morning, on it's pop, but, Lo! it's making me money now.

    Just wanted to mention that it's about $.20 away from a 2-day support position, and in the daily chart it's sprung out of its down-channel. I'm about to reverse my short and go long.

    X reports on the 26th. I'll be carefully watching the volume to see what it's likely to do on the report (because the insider trading volume will show a sell pressure if it's likely to report yet another quarterly loss).

    Frankly, because Congress did not enact the steel pipe protection import tax against China, US Steel is most likely to take the pipe.

    (I couldn't resist that one, sorry)

    US Steel is on such a downward spiral. I feel so bad; they were a US star for so many years, and without them, we would have lost WW2.

    The last thing to note is that short weeks usually the market is up. This week may be no exception, but we need to close the week below 1333 to keep Eve's bottom tracking.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for the InsightApril 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

    Rock - X, is one of the stocks I have been monitoring, I do not believe my skill level has reached the point to make a play on it yet.

    But it is good to see what you are seeing and how you are playing things as it helps to know what to look for.

    From the little research I have done, X should have never reached it's 2008 level and with the economy being extremely weak, not to mentions, cheaper (Not to mention inferior) Chines products, it is kind of surprising that it has gone up as high as it has.

    Thanks for your insight and I will continue to keep a close eye on it.

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  45. Denise - Agreed that Hillary wouldn't have been any different. I think that she would have been as beholden to special interests as O is.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Yup. or even more. Plus I could not stand another Clinton term.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nasty wild fires in Texas, tornadoes in the South and Midwest. Snow here. Crazy weather everywhere. In relative terms, we're lucky it's only snow.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/20/texas-wildfire-burning-across-state_n_851555.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. Apple reports tonight. Greg - care to take a guess?

    ReplyDelete
  49. @Thor
    Your 12:50

    The end game here is one world bank with one world money supply with one group of elite controlling it all.

    The Chinese are throwing a monkey wrench into the deal.

    If the Eurozone can hook the Chinese, then it's over, and you'll see, we will have the one world bank.

    If the Chinese are smart enough to stay back, then it's status quo.

    My good friend here, who is Chinese, and who is a pretty important financial guy, tells me that the Chinese are looking for recovering face, and will probably back the Eurozone. That will delay at worst, and kill at best, the designs of the elite.

    I think you've already read the Chinese plan to back Spanish and Portugese debt (jokingly I said because they need olive oil....)

    ReplyDelete
  50. This rally explains why some of the indicators I follow were mixed. It seems to want to resolve itself to the upside with a test of the February highs.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Manny,

    Coldest spring here since the 1940's. We had rain and hail last nigh and it is really cold today.

    ReplyDelete
  52. @Denise: Kind of hammmers home the motivation to get to better climes ASAP, doesn't it? Maybe it's a sign?

    ReplyDelete
  53. Had leaves on the trees in full bloom by early April last year. Nary a leaf out there now on 4/20. We might not see green until May now.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I will report directly about the conditions on the ground in Spain and Portugal as we are taking a vacation there in May. Of course, nothing will beat Thor's timing of his trip to Eqypt only seconds before the revolution, but I still hope have something to report on.

    I think that they are in need of tourist dollars as this trip was the least expensive of the things we looked at and offered a lot of value for the $$.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Not too warm in CO today, but still warmer than here and I bet they even have that odd looking yellow thing called the "sun" by the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  56. It's all about the U$D - debt ceiling and long term sustainablity of the fiscal situation in the U.S.

    "How low can the U.S. dollar go?". http;//www.business.financialpost.com/2011/04/20/how-low-can-u-s-dollar-go.

    Seems like nothing else matters. Even Goldman was wrong on their sell the commodities recommendation last week.

    "Crude now higher than at Goldman downgrade". ZH.com

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oh I don't know about that Denise - Portugal could very well default around the time you go. I think we're still good with our habit of only vacationing in places where cataclysms of one sort or another happen around the time we visit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Manny,

    From yesterday about the flat tax, while it is a simplification of the tax code, the flat tax is grossly favorable to the top earners and grossly unfavorable to everyone else, especially the working poor, who sadly these days is probably 1/2 of our population.

    A good measure of how unfair the flat tax is is to see who the supporters are, billionaires like Steve Forbes, and others who don't want to pay their fair share of taxes.

    We can simplify the tax code without the flat tax.

    ReplyDelete
  59. That is true, we were in New Zealand when the earthquake in Chile occurred and we had tsunami warnings in Christchurch where we were staying, which was flattened almost one year to the day by it's own earthquake.

    Portugal is so small I am not sure what a default there would do to the country. Life goes on, doesn't it?

    Nice take on the Iceland meltdown in the "Inside Job" movie.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Manny,

    I forgot to add, I am definitely with you on the flat tax.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Agree with you about the flat tax, Denise. There's a reason that high income/wealth people favor it the most. Hint: It ain't because it helps other people the most.

    ReplyDelete
  62. @MAnnwich:

    The wheels of justice turn slowly. We have had a number of convictions.

    Bing "lee farkas convict".

    He is facing hundreds of years in jail, and many of his cohorts who pled guilty, as well

    The one thing to remember is that the staute of limitations is 7 years *EXCEPT* in cases where deliberate fraud is supected. Then, there is no limit.

    It just takes a long long time for a few justice department folks to pour through reams and reams of data in order to construct a case which is likely to reach conviction. But the nice thing is that as Mick would say, "Time time time is on my side, yes it is".

    Fannie and freddie officials should be pretty nervous. They were complicit as well, and when the DOJ gets to their data, well, we'll see.

    I'd love to see Lloyd indicted.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I hear you, Rock, and that may be true, but Farkas in the grand scheme of things is still a small fish. I too would love to see Llyod indicated but don't count on it happening.

    ReplyDelete
  64. TRP.To.

    Hard to stay over $40.


    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  65. Agree with Manny - underlings are being made to pay, not the real people making decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Thor, re: Apple, looking for $6.36 per share.

    ReplyDelete
  67. The PAST quarter looks good for Apple, but offering weak guidance? Why? Sandbagging or are there clouds forming on the horizon?

    http://www.zerohedge.com/article/apple-reports-640-eps-vs-536-consensus-2467-billion-revenue-lowers-outlook

    ReplyDelete
  68. @Manny, they always sandbag. Wouldn't you sandbag Wall Street?

    ReplyDelete
  69. Once again the amateur analysts/bloggers blew away the Wall Street analysts. Not one professional analyst had forecasted in excess of $6.00/share, not one.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Greg - That's why I asked you, I knew you'd blow them away ;-) One of these days you should think about charging.

    ReplyDelete
  71. @Thor, thanks but I was referring to guys like Zaky and Dediu who nail this thing quarter after quarter. I'm actually surprised Apple even allows the Wall Street guys on the conference call.

    ReplyDelete
  72. @greg,

    Congrats on AAPL! You do know your stock.



    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  73. @greg,

    Andy Zaky sometimes posts comments at Cobras blog too. Interesting. Someone mentioned his seeking alpha article this afternoon at the interaday thread.

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  74. @ICan, good chart here pro's versus amateurs.

    http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/18/apple-q2-2011-earnings-preview/

    ReplyDelete
  75. blech - Obama is coming to LA tomorrow, there goes my damn commute.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Here;s our Black Swan to end all Black Swans.

    One day after being named to a presidential task force to negotiate deficit reduction, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor fired off a stark warning to Democrats that the GOP “will not grant their request for a debt limit increase” without major spending cuts or budget process reforms.

    Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53501.html#ixzz1K74g5sZu

    ReplyDelete
  77. Guys I need to throw up an open thread for tomorrow. I'm so sorry, I've had the shittiest day (even finished with a turd - thanks Andy!) and I just don't have it in me tonight :-(

    ReplyDelete