Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Death of the PC Companies

Well, for sure, when I started out my career, I never thought I’d be writing this.

About 18 years ago, maybe a little more, after compiling a report on industry trends, I informed my company that we needed to change the business direction, because it was clear from the long term technical integration trend report that the phone would take over most of the PC market.

It was obvious that as soon as we got a decent processor, compact memory systems, and graphics processors were shrunk to the point of living inside a phone and playing back movies, with an interface connector small enough to get the movies to a big screen somewhere, we would have a phone that would do it all.

We have that phone almost. If AAPL would ever choose a processor that’s good enough and solve the battery life problem, and maybe with more gas stations (gas station being a display kiosk with a keyboard and charger for your iPhone), we would have a solution to my prediction of the future.

Once we get a good phone, what happens to the PC? We’ve already seen the market swing away from an unwieldy form factor notebook to a tablet which lets the user surf the net, and be a “shopping buddy”. Those are the biggest (non-office) usage models for PCs

The PC has evolved into a professional device that a business user can carry around, and an office device which provides local solutions requiring high-resolution display and compute-intensive applications. As we get more “cloud”, that device will be able to evolve down into the tablet market. There’s 3 technical issues that need solutions before this evolution will be complete:
1. Guaranteed bandwidth wherever you are located
2. Complete and absolute security
3. Guaranteed cloud storage space and processing power.

Also there needs to be a paradigm switch for applications where they anticipate keystrokes or mouse clicks and have those predictive answers ready—right now all apps are built backwards, waiting for the keystroke or mouse click before they take direction).

Once you get those three things, all you need to carry with you is your Good Phone and a keyboard. No more need for a notebook. Once you get those three things, you will only need a very small docking station in your office, kind of like the gas station I already mentioned.

So what does that mean to companies like HP whose infrastructure is set up to handle bass-ackwards apps and clumsy heavy hardware for corporations? I think HP’s demise will be shown to be caused by Carly, the great HP/Compaq integrator. HP reminds me of the Argentinosaurus. Looks like the Cretaceous Extinction is fast approaching them.

HP is beginning to feel the pain. Dell is not far behind. Unless Intel gets its act together, they are absolute toast (most of it caused by my old pal, Craig Barrett).

By contrast, take a look at IBM: They are incredibly smart, moving out of the PC industry completely.

There will still be a small need for the desktop PC. There will always be gamers wanting the ultimate video interface theater-game like they get at the arcade. But that market is shrinking (did you see nVidia’s future sales projections? ICan must have had a crystal ball, for sure). There will always be some application that solves a niche problem that won’t be ported to the cloud. But for those few cases, there will be Thors who will go around, buying motherboards and chassis and P/S, and integrating those for companies, developing corporate-specific hotloads. (The first thing a corporation who buys PCs does is throw-away the on-board hotload).

What happens to the PC companies? They develop servers, and raids, and matrix-memory solutions for cloud installations. Their market shrinks like a $5 sweater.

How do we trade this?

Short Dell. Short HP.
Long memory producers, including IBM
Long Cloud-software producers, like VMW


By the way, you don’t think that was an accident, IBM getting out of the PC and developing the 3-D memory element, do you? (If you’re techno-interested about the 3d memory, you can read this article.)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070412132140.htm

(See I’m learning not to put the period after the link).

30 comments:

  1. @Thor (from yesterday) No matter whether Strauss-Kahn's guilty or not, his political career is at an end.

    And that may have been the overall goal.

    It seems sexual assault is becoming a popular accusation for powerful people that can't seem to be brought down in ordinary ways.

    (did you see how sneakily I boosted my comment count?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock - I do not have nor have I ever tried to have the "Latest and Greatest" in what technology has to offer, mostly because six months from now it will be replaced, by the new "Latest and Greatest"

    The first family PC I got was in the late 90's from Gateway it cost over $3500, (But we got a FREE printer) it connected to the internet through a dial up connection.

    That first $3500 computer could not even hold a candle to today's phones.

    But what I truly do not understand is if every passing year our phones become more and more versatile and it does seem like PC's are going to go the way of the type writer, why don't companies like HP and Dell embrace the changes instead of fighting the inevitable?

    Ohhh Yea you also need to add a Number 4 to your list, Phones will eventually need to be able to play and burn CD's

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Rock. Hard to argue with any of that. On another note, this Strauss-Kahn case is really bizarre. Either there is REALLY something wrong with this guy or something is amiss here. Anyone else feel the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This doesn't surprise me at all. What happens when that well runs dry too?

    More Americans raiding retirement funds early

    http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2011/05/is-rew-new-mew-retirement-equity.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiet here today. Where is everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mannwich - I do not know where everyone is today and why they are so quiet.

    But I found this stick, I will sharpen it and start poking the others with it to see if they will make any noise.

    Hey THOOOOORRRRRRRR!!!!!!! I got a surprise for you, Ok Emmanuel117 where are you, this sharpened stick won't hurt......too, much.

    And I just KNOW Dastro is wanting to see how hard he can be poked before he starts bleeding.

    And all the rest of you guys, you can hide or at least try to, but I am putting your names on this stick too.

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning all! Got pulled into a complicated technical issue at 7am this morning and just finished. Man.

    Hey Mutt :-P Never to worry about me, I'm never going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No worries, Thor, but don't let it happen again. Keep your priorities straight! ;-)

    These markets sure are BORING lately though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mutt

    Think about having every CD or DVD you ever owned, wanted to own illegally downloaded or otherwise procured in the "cloud".

    No, I don't ever burn a CD anymore. I have a piece of software called WSFTP, and I bought some server space, and I could have all my media stored there. Then, using WSFTP, I could download that media to my (phone-tablet-notebook-friend's computer) device and play it back. If the playback apps had an FTP client, I wouldn't need a separate piece of software for that. But the apps people are stuck in the stone age.

    The retail price for 1TB is $70. The rental cloud space should cost 20% of that (payback in 5 years), or $14. That's about 1 dollar per month.

    That's retail. Now consider cost, when you buy bizillions of terabytes. That $1 per month cost should be reduced to $0.50.

    If your server provider is charging you more than that, you're getting screwed.

    I have bought over 14,000 CDs. I have every classic rock (surprise?) album ever made. From Howlin' Wolf to (sigh)BeeGees. I've MP3'd them all and put them in my personal "cloud". I can listen to any song, at any time, anywhere I go on my phone-hotspot or on my notebook (I don't have an IPhone). I can keep a bunch of playlists local and play them at any time.

    I don't need CDs.

    I did some work for the MPAA. In their infinite gratitude, they've sent me every movie there ever was. I've DivX'ed about 200 of them and have put them in my "cloud". someday, I hope to watch some of them....

    YOU DON'T NEED TO BURN A CD OR DVD ANYMORE!!!

    You don't need to buy another HDD. Maybe we should short WD?

    This is *not* the latest and greatest technology! This is here and now, and has been here and now for 5 years.

    Now, I need my apps in the Cloud. Right now, the apps people are stupid and havent' modified their apps so they run in the cloud, only local. So I can't run Excel unless I have a local copy, or Word. Or LviewPro. or CoolEdit. Or .....

    Now, ask where I have all the original CD's. I have them stored in a friend's garage in the US. He hates me. It's boxes and boxes and boxes of media. Takes a whole car space, all the way to the ceiling. So the license people have to enter the digital age and give me a digital license, but the RIAA and MPAA are stuck in the 60's TV era.

    Anyway, get with the program. Stop burning CDs and DVDs. Get with the cloud.

    Thor, that goes for your company, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a follow up to your IBM comment. The 3d process. It's what is allowing intel to take computing power consumption requirements down to even lower levels.

    Intel

    The deal you want to achieve is to reduce power requirements to the point where the signal powers the device. Now that would be life changing. No need for gas stations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Todd

    Yep. You're right.

    And use the cloud to eliminate mass storage requirements.

    We should start a company....

    ReplyDelete
  12. CD Burners for phonesMay 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

    Rock – That first PC had a DVD burner in it and I paid extra to get it and when I rented a DVD and liked it, I would burn a copy, so I have a pretty decent library of burned movies.

    But I have never boughten a music CD, do not own an MP3 player or purchased for my own use any music. I have bought CD’s for the kids and did in fact own two CD’s one came with a truck that that the original owner left and the other was won from a radio station. But for the most part if it ain’t on the radio, it don’t get listened to.

    I can remember when floppy discs were all the rage and you had to load programs using them. I imagine the younger generation will see PC's with CD players and think they are cup holders.

    But you can not tell me you don’t think it would be cool to have a DVD burner on your cell phone – Heck that would easily double the size of your phone.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Mutt

    Not cool at all.

    I want an icon I can click, and enter your address, so you can have access to that DVD.

    I want a license company willing to take my payment for giving you a copy.

    I DO NOT WANT TO BURN A CD OR DVD!!!!

    By the way, what's a floppy disk?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rock - Very much agree with you on the licensing companies.

    It really does boggle my mind that so many companies seem more willing to pay tons of money to try and keep the status quo of their business, instead of going with the flow of technologies.

    20 + years ago, CD's started to replace, records and tapes, then came along the DVD, then MP3 and other technology that did not need a physical home to reside on - Which makes cloud the logic next step in the evolutionary cycle.

    But some day Cloud will also become obsolete.

    If the licensing companies could have the foresight to see and understand how things change they could make big profits from licensing.

    “By the way, what's a floppy disk?” – Something that DSK, Arnold, Newt and Bill Clinton wish they knew more about.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Mutt

    Well, at my age, everything is, um, kinda sorta floppy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Todd - "reduce power requirements to the point where the signal powers the device"

    Interesting idea . . . like PoE. We use that to power all our IP phones here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rock - there's a pill for that now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Since it's a slow day.

    My thoughts are stuck, which will we see 1400 or 1200 first on the S&P? 2 months ago I thought for sure 1400 so placed everything accordingly. Now that Friday is drawing nearer, options expiring. Not so sure about ever reaching 1400. At least I don't think it will happen before the end of June.

    Also, maybe I've missed it, but there haven't been any bear blowups in the threads here, from the other site. I always use that as a gauge that there is another 5-10% left to the upside on the near term.

    I think most of the doom news lately may be just to help justify QE3. Not that I'm counting on it or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Thor, we are still a long ways away from that for power consumption. It does appear that the time it takes to cut power needs in half is getting shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Article and some GREAT photos of the ride I did (about 80% of) this past Saturday:

    http://gearjunkie.com/almanzo-100-gravel-bike-race

    ReplyDelete
  21. Todd - yup yup, still, it's pretty impressive that they can power phones over existing network infrastructure. The POE switches aren't all that much more expensive than the non POE switches too.

    I'll be more excited when wireless power is ready for prime time.

    I'm with you on the 1400/1200 call too, I'm still in the 1400 camp, but realize we're every bit as likely to see 1200 again before we see 1400.

    You haven't missed anything, we're just better about catching them and putting them in Spam than we used to be. Nothing much in the last couple weeks though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wowzers, nice bounce today though eh?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rock - This post is top notch!! Will have to re-read it tonight when I get home and have more time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Propaganda to help Pakistani leaders save face!

    "Gates says no sign that top Pakistanis knew of Bin Laden". http://global.nytimes.com

    My take: If that's the case, then the U.S. should've atleast inform those top Pakistanis leaders of their intentions to take OBL. What crap!

    In other news, "Billions of lonely planets, adrift in space" - NYTimes.com

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  25. From Corey at http://blog.afraidtotrade.com

    Market internals are bullish - Bredth, TICK, VOLD.

    Also see his May 16th post. S&P triangle and back above the rising trendline since mid March.

    Also, S&P above major Ema's(20)=1339.35
    Ema(50) = 1328, Ema(100) = 1302.

    TRP.to is doing good. Utility.


    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is too good not to read. On Ben stein, elitist tool and douche:

    http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/05/17/ben-stein-watch-dsk-edition/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know if anybody here likes Jim Cramer, but I came across this article about him.

    IMHO, many of the talking pundits are similar. Even the financial advisors are the same.

    If you ever hire a financial advisor, ask to see his/her last 5 years' Schedule D's. If they say "it's confidential" then either find the door for them or for you.

    I enjoyed the article.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/magazine/jim-cramer-hits-an-all-time-high.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. On more aside: I saw a vignette on Bloomberg where the Chinese are having energy brown-and-blackouts because they can't get enough coal to fire their coal-burning powerplants.

    And they are building more coal plants.

    They hired a mining engineer and manager from Philadelphia who is managing at least one of the mines and the trasnport system, which right now and for 3 years will be trucks, running 24/7.

    Looked into a few things, and found ANR and MEE are both selling to China, as is a little of CNX, although I get the feeling CNX doesn't want to (and I can guess why).

    Anyway, both ANR and MEE are in a down-channel that looks like it's just starting to turn up. Looking at their relative strengths compared to the S&P, they are 1-3% higher and just starting to turn up, ANR and MEE are both about 1% stronger, and CNX is about 3% stronger.

    Might want to put these on your trading radars. They are on mine, and I'm thinking of starting a position tonight.

    ReplyDelete