Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The agony continues

Hello everybody

The equity market continues their going nowhere really fast and I remember several weeks ago when talking about the conditions for a top to be set.
I mentioned people hugging each other in the streets, and I remember when the news of bin Laden being killed broke and all that photographs in the news.

Of course all that celebrations got me thinking that Sunday: could it be?...people are celebrating in the streets. I know, I know is not directly related with the false perception of a turnaround in the economy but at least they are celebrating on the streets anyways; so just the same final result, even though for an entirely different set of reasons.Could that be considered sufficient cause?.

It got me thinking: same final outcome but for unrelated reasons.Can have the same effect from a sentiment point of view in people's mind? (as if the news was related to the economy).

I doubt it strongly, but hey...all the celebrations and inmediately after that a top that lasted two weeks already have me wondering too if it's just big fish using the general public perception alone to play the unexpected card, withouth regard for how much correlated the logic under their moves are.

Of course all this moronic assumptions are entertained in my head when I'm just filling the gas tank or waiting at the supermarket's queue because I don't have too many options.

Still my preferred way to see things is through astrology.Is a lot cleaner and in this case don't need to fill gaps with some kind of defficient logic, just a climax is reached for whatever reason.That's why I prefer astrology anyday.
It's like a theater's play.People playing their roles according to some unknown script and being instrumental to the most probable final outcome.

Like for instance when the knowledgeable guy Mr Strong died (Federal Reserve in the late 20's) not saying he was a good guy just that he kept all that thing going on until he got sick and then died. Incompetence got a big bust afterwards.

Could the IMF's head demise be seen as a tipping point, if bigger problems are triggered for Europe in the near future, like Mr Strong death in the 20's was for America?

In my view, absolutely.They can looked like a small drop in a bucket but what made their roles salient for a future historian is the role they play at a very very precise moment in history, in order to get the ensuing result.

So timming is at least as important as incompetence around the decisions level for something bad to occur.
For that timming thing I choose astrology.

So they can not escape the timming design of things, they just play a role that they can not alter in a meaningful way (obtaining the opposite result of what is expected to be the likeliest result) and my secret view is that they barely have a clue of the role they are eagerly playing.


Regarding Rock asking or wondering to what I paid attention when I was talking about DECK past week is the same thing, for me just astrology.

Not that I don't pay attention to anything else.Of course I chequed free cash flow, debt, price-sales, and if I remember it revenue growth, and short float.

But the thing is, DECK is really, truly the most marvelous thing after sliced bread, seriously.It was at 0.85 cents by late 2002 and before I mentioned it in April reached almost $100.

Studying it is almost like poetry, in my geek view of the world.


So I got a great deal of respect for those companies. EZPW was 0.30 cents and now is at 30 bucks.

They just doubled AAPL performance, in less than a decade. And AAPL wasn't exactly shabby.

So is a lot more challenging trying to get a nice drop in one of this monsters than in a regular stock and a lot less expected by the general public.

If they act according to what I expect for example it tells me that maybe they are getting weaker and who knows, maybe they could be hinting an ending of an impressive rally or at least an unexpected correction. That's why I check them focusing on the downside.

For getting focused on the upside I personally prefer to watch 4-6 bucks stocks. Still don't have the time and means to get focused on the 0.40-0.80 cents that can run a nice decade.Step by step.

Dan

37 comments:

  1. Morning, Dastro! Great post! I too agree with your "going nowhere". The problem I have with this "choppy" market is that I can't be in anything long enough to get over the trend change, so I end up at best breaking even. I have last month even lost money. First month losing money since, um, since, well almost 2 years.

    So to overcome that, I've changed my trading strategy. I am out overnight. During the day I play the setups. So last week, and Monday this week, the profits have gone consistently positive, although they aren't as large as being able to play the trend. Also, I can't doze off in my chair here like when playing a trend.

    I won't play the low $ stocks because anybody with 1/4 billion can make them do anything he wants. I just know I'd be on the wrong side of that trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dastro:

    Here's my research on my herds. Dss says she looks at the sector then looks at reinforcement and divergences, which I think is a pretty good way to play these. Anyway, here is the herd performance over the last 5 days (going longer ago than that is meaningless in this choppy going nowhere market).

    -5% XME
    -4% KOL XOP
    -3% GDX SLX XES TAN
    -2% OIH $DJTENG IYE
    -1% $DJULTC KCE

    +1% $DJTFOB ICF IYZ IHE
    +2% RTH $DRG.X BBH IYH IXJ XLV VHT XRT
    +3% UTH XLU

    Everything else is at par with the S&P performance, that is, 0%.

    So If you're long a stock in a sector that's down relative to the S&P, you may want to watch that one very carefully.

    Also, it's interesting to notice there are some herds that are more negative than there are herds positive. That may have some meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning all! Just popping to warn you that I am out of town until June6th.

    It may sound creepy, but I think I haven't traveled since a little more than one year. Going to stay at a friend's place in the south of France, in a town called Narbonne.

    I had to postpone this trip several times, in part because he just moved in, and didn't have the most basic things. Like.. the Internet in fact. duh

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm just physically out of town, while virtually still present. Don't know if it has impacts in the markets. lol.

    More seriously, I see you later. Good luck with the trading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, and @Rock: market has been hurting me lately too.

    I think we're at or near a key point on the SP500, and global markets. That's part of the reason I'm jumping guns everyday, from short to long, to short.. screwing many trades..:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. @WolfStreet:

    Wait Wait!!!Isn't it you that goes out of town and everything turns to poo????!!!????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder, was a life somehow "better" or more simple back in the day when people were under the illusion that our "betters" were actually "better" than the masses....

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/arnold-schwarzenegger-fathered_n_862867.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rock: I believe that was me but that trade seems broken lately. So maybe it's Wolfie's turn?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow emmy. LNKD is a nice little tool but I can't believe the valuations of that thing. Seems to me the dot.com market getting, shall we say, "frothy" again? I think we're damn close to THE top, if not already there. Certainly way too close for someone who doesn't trade every day to get in long for the most part on equities and most other risk assets. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning folks! I see the market isn't liking the housing numbers too much. Commodities still falling as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wolfie - Were you surprised by the Strauss-Kahn arrest? He was one of the front runners for the Presidency in France yes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We didn't go too far past my top either, so if this holds, I was pretty damn close! LOL. I fail to see what will drive this puppy much higher at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that these kinds of articles are starting to get floated in the MSM. Even though it's an opinion piece, that it's being given the light of day on the front page of a major financial website is telling.

    Time to legalize insider trading
    Not only does insider trading have no victims, it actually helps people, writes James Altucher.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Thor: WTF?!? Not at all surprising that this would come from Altucher, the ultimate tool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Boner. Quickly finding out that actual governing is "hard".

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/john-boehner-tea-party_n_863016.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. This debt ceiling mess has me worried, now we're starting to see article from folks saying it wouldn't be a bad thing if we defaulted. All that's going to do is embolden the people who do not want to compromise. I know it will ultimately be raised, but how much damage are we going to do while we wait for the far right to understand that they aren't going to be able to have everything exactly the way they want it.

    Where the hell are all the grown ups and why aren't we doing a better job at electing them to congress?

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Not that much damage", to whom, Thor? When you understand that and who's saying these things, you'll understand WHY THOSE people are saying them. It's because it might not do "that much damage to THOSE people, but the Sheeple would have the damage heaped on them. No problem there though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Tea Party nihilists are out in full force against Boner. It's truly unreal. They should be careful what they wish for. They just might get it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @MAnnwich:

    RE your 12:15

    I'm looking at UUP, and it's really on an upchannel, which we did not see during the last 2 dips.

    I'm thinking there may be significance in this. Maybe the carry trade will unwind a little?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Manny - I said "how much" not "not that much" ;-)

    I understand your point though. I think with the debt ceiling though, much of the plutocracy stands to lose as much (or more) from that going wrong than the little guy on the street. How many of them are leveraged to the hilt? And how many of them would see their standard of living altered if the interest on their debt went up 10% overnight?

    Maybe that's why the business community is pushing so hard for speedy passage.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Rock: I see what you mean. Pretty interesting? Perhaps the turn is finally, FINALLY upon us?

    Great point, Thor. The world is one giant leveraged hedge fund waiting to unravel once someone pulls the loose string just a smidgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll admit that my original call for new highs in the markets before we tank again is looking a tad shaky the last couple weeks. I'll still stick with it though, just not nearly as firm a prediction anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  23. something different - plus I think this is important, and will become even more important over the next few years.

    http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4321/first-habitable-exoplanet-confirmed

    ReplyDelete
  24. WTF!!

    Do the French even get it? That rape is violence! DSK story is not about secret affair or consensual relationship.

    "Questions Raised About A Nation's Code of Silence?" - NYT.com

    Reputation of a powerful figure is protected.

    "We felt that we were SUPERIOR to the Americans and the British by upholding the principle of protecting private life" said Pierre Haski, one of France's leading political commentors.

    Marie Charstine Boutin, a deputy in Parliament and a leader of the RELIGIOUS RIGHT defended Pres. Clinton(during the Lewinski scandal), "It's a sign of good health". Ms. Boutin had defended Mr. Strauss-Kahn, "victim of a trap".

    Marie Antoinette would be really proud of the current ruling class of France.

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  25. S&P
    EMA(20)1340
    EMA(50)1327.53
    EMA(100)1301.56

    Right now it's around 50dma.

    JPY carry currency.


    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  26. @I Can: I think the "ruling class" everywhere has been exposed. The are the Global Emperor with No Clothes (literally and figuratively).

    ReplyDelete
  27. As leftback used to often opine, "The Tyranny of the Incompetent" rages on unabated.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anyone else notice lately that the market often comes off it's morning lows later in the trading day?

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Thor: PPT? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Plus - it seems like all the blogs have quieted way down. Even TBP seems quiet the last couple months! Complacency? Or burn out?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Manny - hahahah, I almost forgot about PPT! Funny how you don't hear too much about that after the flash crash.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd like your comments on this please.

    Conservative economic guru and former Nixon and Ford speechwriter Ben Stein took up the disgraced IMF chief’s case in a column in the American Spectator. Stein wrote, “What do we know about the complainant besides that she is a hotel maid?” After expressing confidence in her character — “I am sure she is a fine woman” — he proceeded to suggest exactly the opposite:

    On the other hand, I have had hotel maids that were complete lunatics, stealing airline tickets from me, stealing money from me, throwing away important papers, stealing medications from me. How do we know that this woman’s word was good enough to put Mr. Strauss-Kahn straight into a horrific jail?

    Stein also sharply questioned the maid’s allegation, insinuating that she was a willing partner and suggesting that someone can only really be sexually assaulted if a gun or knife is involved:

    The prosecutors say that Mr. Strauss-Kahn “forced” the complainant to have oral and other sex with him. How? Did he have a gun? Did he have a knife? He’s a short fat old man. They were in a hotel with people passing by the room constantly, if it’s anything like the many hotels I am in. How did he intimidate her in that situation? And if he was so intimidating, why did she immediately feel un-intimidated enough to alert the authorities as to her story?


    Anyone?

    Anyone?

    Bueller?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hopefully most of you got that little joke :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I got your joke at 8.50pm Thor.

    Funny.

    ReplyDelete