Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

"Under Pressure"

The daily SPY’s stochastics are oversold. Here’s the chart(Courtesy TDAmeritrade StrategyDesk):




The weekly stochastics are headed down. Remember, when they are both oversold, that’s the one time in the year you need to buy. They only hit oversold maybe once or twice in a year.

I still see some downward psychological pressure on the market. The media is full of the European contagion, but no one has mentioned what happened to the value of the sovereign debt that was purchased 6 months ago. I’m sure the smarter banks have tried to unload that, but I doubt there were many takers. We’ll see what happens when the MSM starts raising this issue. Banks’ values and capitalization are sure to suffer.

Our Super Committee failed, and should be named “Stupor Committee”. I think since they can't be fired for failing, they should be forced to return their salaries and campaign contributions received for the period they were "serving".

More downward psychological pressure: S&P says that we may see another downgrade of US debt. Corporations have figured out how to be profitable even though GDP growth is poor at best and Europe is in a recession. The way these corps may be profitable is through accounting tricks. But job growth in the US is on a rise—tiny, but on a rise. So there are some mixed psychological signals along with somewhat unbelievable fundamental signals.

On the technical side, we see some reasons to pressure the market upwards. Europe hasn’t capitulated even with Italian bonds trading at 7%, and a terrible German bond sale. Germany is under pressure as one of the main support columns for the Euro. If it backs out (Merkle says she wants a fast modification to the treaty, but it’s not likely to happen) the Euro is toast. That’s not gonna happen, don’t look for a UUP boost because of that anytime soon. Also, the daily stochastics for the S&P are oversold (see the above chart). Also, the $SPXA50 from Stockcharts.com shows that the number of stocks trading above their 50 day MA is at a low, and may be ready for a turnaround. (Chart courtesy of Stockcharts.com).



The biggest aspect of the market pressure is from the headlines. What will the headlines give us over the next week or two? If we do see a dip down toward the 1080 floor, I expect a quiet FED will turn a little more lionish and start buying MBS’s and other mortgage derivatives, in hopes that will spur common people to buy homes. It won’t. Common people are still afraid. But that headline will pop us upward for sure. You won’t see the politicians and PM’s do anything, so there won’t be any major headlines on those fronts.

Financials are supposed to lead the market. What happens to the financials, happens to the market. I think the financials are toast. Unknown regulation, and costs associated with it. It seems their bets may be coming home to roost: no more prop trading. Pretty much the only way they have to make money is loans, and nobody is borrowing. Inflation is upon us, feed prices are rising, farmers are making money, and we are all paying them for it. So nobody will want to borrow. You may see some headlines on these issues and more that affect the financials. Look at GS: it’s at 90. That’s the point I’ve seen targeted to take it private.

I will be playing the market on the short side, selling the blips. Because of the costs of borrowing shares, I play the short ETFs like SKF, REW, SRS, SDS, SMN, DUG DUST QID. If it looks like a significant upswing in progress, and I get stopped out of my short plays, I might buy some DIG QLD ROM USD. Saves on the borrowing costs.

Also I will be going home long SKF. Putting my money where my mouth is.

22 comments:

  1. @Rock, re stochastics: it's also possible they remain oversold for some time, right?:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. @WolfStreet:

    Take a look at history when the weekly and daily stochs go oversold. It's not for long. I think the algos know what we know.

    Did you see the headlines? Greece says 50% won't work, they want 25%. And they don't have a mandate for a big change! Hahahahahaha.

    Man are the banks who loaned european sov debt are so toast. I think you'll see flying bodies out windows soon!

    Banks are really going to take it on the chin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/greeks-restart-bond-haircut-negotiations-demand-lower-npv-bypass-iif-creditor-negotiations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Italy's bond sales today: 8% to borrow for 2 years.

    Not, IMHO, a bargain. Actually, it is a bargain for Italy, because they'll write down their debt to 25% just like Grease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock -Thanks for your insight.

    WOW that was a short lived rally.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Italian 10 year at 7.26 - unless I'm mistaken that's a new high.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rock: thanks, didn't catch this news about a harsher haircut on Greek bonds!

    Meanwhile, after this short lived rally, SP500 needs to hold the 1158 line. As mentioned previously, the zone 1160/1170 is significant support. I think if it goes below that, we're headed to 1130.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Thor:

    The 2 year yield is higher than the 10 year. Inversion. Not a good sigh.

    I'm going to put together a post on pressure over the weekend to more fully address WolfStreet's question above. Which is a great question. Once I can figure out how to highlight one area of one chart and expand it into another chart, like we used to do with logic analizers, it will be much easier. I may have to do it with multiple charts...."will see".

    I think it will be good for me, as well as anyone who wants to go through the charts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Emmy,

    That mag. cover looks scary for govts around the world.

    Yesterday, Indian Ag. mininster got slapped.

    "Sharad Pawar slapped: Anna Hazare ties himself in knots, says attack on Pawar slap on democracy" -timesofindia.com

    Anna Hazara is Gandhi like figure in India and is leading a non-violence movement againt corruption. He was in a news conference somewhere when told of the slap. His immediate reply was, "Only One Slap?". Everyone condemned the attack and he is retracting his remarks.

    I wonder why rich Chinese and Indians have second homes abroad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Held the 1158 fibo -blog.afraidtotrade.com

    See post several days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scary headlines everwhere.

    How low can this sentiment go?

    From financialpost.com

    Belgium and Hungry downgraded.

    Canada's finance minister,"Eu crisis is spreading".

    "Bracing for Euro collapse".

    "Canada silent on stress test for banks". This one is easy. All the risk will be downloaded to the public as it was done in 2009(CMHC). No worry here.

    ICan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's up with oil?

    ReplyDelete
  13. 80 degrees. Can't beat a warm climate eh Emmie?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thor - You just hush up about your 80 degree weather, we finally got a break from the rain, so my wife and I just got back from a 4 mile walk and it was so cold I could see my breath.

    So you just take a nice big piece of that homemade apple pie and...... Yea it ain't called a pie hole for nothing :)

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ICan:

    I've been watching DIG go down, I pulled out at the double-top around 63. I watched it hop up and got back in at 53, but the double-top around 62 made me get out again. I got in again when it went through 38, but popped out at around 45. Now I'm waiting for a turnaround, I hope before it gets down to 32.

    Oil is still near 100$ per barrel. I think the news is bad, with H-bombs and companies being prevented from offshore drilling, so the DIG has been on a downtrend since last April or so. But I am really looking for a turn-around maybe above the low of 28, maybe around 32. When it hits there, I'll be looking to re-enter. That's almost a 100% gain if it gets back to it's top of around 63.

    Wishful thinking on my part, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mutt - hah, ok, I'll hush about 80 degrees. How about 85 though? Can I go on about 85? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thor - I picked up a book called "Seed" by Rob Ziegler today, have you heard of it?

    85 degrees, yea I am jealous.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mutt, no, I haven't heard of that, sounds really good though! I'm reading Stephen Kings latest. After that the I have the last of The Strain trilogy to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thor is that the one about JFK?

    When you finish can you let me know how you liked it? I got kind of burned out on Stephen King after reading "Bag of Bones", "The Cell" and another one I can not remember. They were all compelling reading, but went absolutely no where, so when I got done reading them it was like....Ok what was that all about????

    Anyway you enjoy your 85 degree weather.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's cold as hell up here. I went out last night and the car's outside temp indicator said 51.

    why did I leave Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  21. The analysis I promised is in a new post.

    ReplyDelete