Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What capitalism?

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that it was a chance to get a correction if we go down fast and without interruption. Started going down a Thursday like I mentioned, but failed to pick up speed.

Past week I switch to the bull side mentioning that past Thursday should start going up.

It really started Tuesday, getting consolidation Wednesday and effectively Thursday going up but what bothers me the most is not that started two days before, but the fact that it just stop flat. It didn't break the area. So no impulsiveness, neither to the downside nor the upside.

Bottom line is that we are trapped in this range for half a year, and looks hard to break this general zone.

I'm going to wait until July 30th as the first chance to brake out of this zone, that point in time has some chances of a breakout.

But I found August 9th an onwards for 3 or 4 more days, as the most clear point to produce a strong pivot and finally get out of the zone.

Which direction?

I want to study more carefully Aug 9-12 before picking a side, because is made of alignments that I'm very familiar with, who tend to produce nosedive action like in some stretches of the 1931-32 era. Where a 30% leg down was very common.

They are not exactly the same, they never are. Each time are different, but the players are still the same, just in different roles.

I found out that at another times in the past 140 years, even though not too often, it did produce the opposite result, breaking out of a long held range to the upside. Like a pivot point but only in cases where stocks were battered for a decent amount of time.

Can the past six months be defined as that kind of long range with battered stocks?

I'm not that sure, having a nice move up for a couple years being met with a correctionless correction in 2011.

Of course unlike 1931-32 there are elements that are missed to produce that kind of perfect storm, but different to the past 10 months, now is at least possible a big down move.

1931 saw the complete banking industry collapse, went to hell in a handbasket so to speak. Eerily similar, we now have the very same actors walking a very fine line where if just one among a lot of moving parts gets out of whack, we will end up with another fucking crisis in no time.

Same actors, similar astrological alignments ( not that many to the downside and more to the upside) and the potential for some big splash bank failure in two or three weeks, so and I'm just waiting.

Maybe some pundits can find all this debt issue almost amusing, something easily resolved in the next few days. Like no chance at all that anything could go wrong.

That confidence unnerves me, while witnessing how the maffia rings of the ruling class fight to see which group gets the lion's share this time.

If it hadn't been for this fine astrological moment I would have been in that same camp too, about the debt (just a well crafted, well timed fear instilled to the population in order to exact benefits).

In what can probably be define as a rare and highly sophisticated form of "capitalism" but just for a few, we notice that they require an extremely active presence of the state (Federal Governmnet) as a sugar daddy figure, to whom all of them love to beg to, so they don't fail.Negating of course, the creative destruction of real capitalism.

Talking about sugar, sugar growers live out of subsidies from the state/consumers, and ethanol producers, and...where capitalism went?

All these criminal clowns, like any aristocratic clown is going to sell people hard that they are capitalists, ruling from Gotham City the nation. What did you expect? Ever heard of the 5th ammendment?

Their lack of practice mastering real capitalism is what make me nervous about the whole debt thing.

All this thinking aloud does not mean a definite direction but is way to show that there's chances of a big move Aug 9th-12th, in my view.

I'm wary to see a lot of alignments that can reenact in a mini scale, a painful time like the 30's but at least the forces that can produce an upward break now are present, and are many, compared to that old time who displayed only two bullish potential alignments. And we all know what happen to them, got crushed with massive amounts of downward antagonic forces .

So no clue yet about the direction but July 30th could mean a smaller pivot and August 9-12 as the big pivot that after all these months, can get the stock market moving again.

Next time I'm going to see if I can fine tune the direction.

Good luck everybody

Dan

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughts, Dastro. I haven't had much time to think about the market the last couple weeks, but this helps jerk me back to the timeframe we're looking at.

    This morning, several comments on Bloomberg were made that seem to line up with your comments:

    1. George Soros is getting out of managing OPM. I too hate managing my ex-mother-in-law's money. But his exit indicates lack of confidence on direction.
    2. Rating agencies are likely to downgrade the treasuries regardless of an agreement on the debt ceiling.
    3. A couple talking heads are shorting 2-year treasuries
    4. Your comment above about the range, and the potential energy being accumulated and stored for a kinetic breakdown/breakup.

    Betty said "earnings are up". I read an article on Fly that "earnings are down". I'll bet when you look at YOY performance, earnings are up for multinationals and down for the rest of us. There are more of "the rest of us" in the market, so I'll bet on the Russell 2K, earnings are down, and on the S&P, earnings are up.

    I use the S&P as my baseline for measurement. I do this because I believe we have to participate in the world economy, and the Russell 2K's have to figure out how to get their products and marketing overseas. I remember when JRCC bought a foreign firm to do exactly that.

    So I'm leaning to the upcoming market move to be a "move of stocks", not a move of "the market".

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mannwich:

    From a last week post, I believe history will show that this financial crisis was a result of a change in confidence by consumers, and a desire, or perhaps result of loss of confidence, to change private debt to public debt.

    I do not believe it was caused by the CDO's, derivatives, and other bank shenanigans. I believe those are just opportunities to make money, and a lot was made, as a result of the confidence change.

    Just my $.02. U$D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan - Thank you for putting into words your well thought out concepts.

    But I am truly amazed at how long these things take to play out.

    And although I do not believe this is a healthy market to invest in, I do believe we could get another push to the upside.

    Oh well we are just a small part of a much larger life.

    Mangy Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock - I would be happy to "Invest" with other peoples money, now if I could just convince them to part with it.

    Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mutt:

    Everytime I go to adjust my MIL's account, I have a Rock at the pit of my stummik. I don't know how Dss did it. She must have nerves of steel.

    As opposed to banksters, they have nerves of steal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anopther comment from Bloomberg:

    One of the reporters who works the trading floor said that the current "saying" has changed from "buy the dip" to "sell the rip".

    Rock's trading again today with a day off (more or less) and still "buying the dip". Making a little bit. But I see I could have made a lot more to "sell the rip". Looking at ANV, I bought the dip and made .30, but if I had sold the rip, I would have made .90.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rock,12:57PM:"One of the reporters who works the trading floor said that the current "saying" has changed from "buy the dip" to "sell the rip"."

    As per the common contrarian assumptions, that would be bullish no?

    (that's mostly rethorical question, since I don't buy these contrarian MSM-based strategies anymore..)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thks Dan. I'm not done reading the whole post yet, but I find it fascinating (though a little bit eerie) that you're seeing similarities with the 1931/32 period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan - AWESOME post buddy! Super busy this morning but can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post Dan. Here's a good one today, in conservative Forbes, no less:

    The 400 Richest Americans Pay An 18% Tax Rate

    http://blogs.forbes.com/robertlenzner/2011/07/25/the-400-richest-americans-pay-an-18-tax-rate/?partner=yahoofeed

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm currently waiting for a break of the 1294 line. I think I'll go (virtually) short if we get to 1350/1360.

    Just my €.02

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been trying to post, but my Windoze 7 won't let me. It's probably some stupid blocker with IE.

    Jim Allchin should be ashamed of this software. I wish drivers were available for my notebook....I'd switch to Linuxx in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rock, if you want to email it to me I can post it for you. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Manny - I have to find you the NPR story I heard this evening on starting a new party. Huge initiative apparently, with 20 million in cash already. They want to field a bipartisan ticket for the 2012 presidential election.

    ReplyDelete
  15. By the way, Are we getting worried on this debt ceiling nonsense? I sorta am. I'd love to know how this is playing out in the press abroad. I'd imagine it's being portrayed as Right Wing Extremists bringing down the house at the behest of the wealthy. Which is true. . .

    I also wonder if we're seeing both the beginnings of the death of the Tea Party, and the future loss of the House. I'd put money on the GOP losing the house in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow and can't say I normally agree much with Huffington, but she's spot on here.

    There is still no deal in the debt ceiling impasse between Congressional Republicans and the president, so we can't say who "won." But we can definitely say who lost: America. Even if we ultimately get the touted "Grand Bargain," it's not going to be grand for anybody who correctly identifies unemployment and our economy's anemic growth as the biggest crises we're facing. After the champagne has been uncorked and lots of backs have been slapped in DC, the lives of regular Americans will not be better -- indeed, they will almost certainly be worse. Here's the maddening part: if Congress and the president had focused on the crisis of jobs and growth, the solutions they would have come up with would also have been the best solutions to the long-term debt crisis. The fact is, you can cut all the discretionary spending you want -- but it's growth, not cutting that will solve our long-term deficit problem.

    ReplyDelete